One week ago the Turkish foreign minister says, ‘holy wars will soon begin in Europe,’ Today, London is under attack.
Before anyone goes off the deep end, I am not saying that there is a direct link between what Mevlüt Çavuşoğlu the Turkish foreign minister said last week and the attack on Westminster yesterday.
Nor am I suggesting that on Tuesday things were great, and today we are at war… a holy war.
But we also have to be realistic about the fact that a large number of Muslims do consider themselves to be at war with… The West, Christianity, Democracy and the like.
And not just the few, ‘lone wolf,’ attacks that we have so far seen or even the few small group attacks, like the attacks in Franse a few years ago, but Muslim governments like Turkey, consider a war with Europe a holy thing.
I believe that the attacks that we are witnessing now and then across Europe are only the blowing off of pressure from a boiler that is slowly reaching the point of exploding.
Undoubtedly it is only a very small minority of Muslims who believe that this is a right and justifiable action to take against the West, But across many Arabic language reports of yesterday’s attack in London, there are a large number of ‘thumbs up’ and ‘smiley faces’.
If there is just one in a hundred or even one in a thousand who believe that this is the right way to express the jihadist lifestyle, that still leaves a very large number. Yesterday’s events in Westminster were caused by one man, with a car and a knife or two.
How could things look if…
- There were ten, twenty, one hundred or even a thousand? The French terror police say there are 15,000 Islamic radicals on their watch list. Some are suggesting that the UK police have some 3,000 radicle-Muslims under 24-hour watch.
- What if they used a lorry instead of a car?
- What if it was combined with another cache of weapons like the 12,000 illegal weapons seized by Spanish police this week?
In human terms, things could look very bad in just a matter of weeks or years.
There are a number of things that we can and must do.
- Call upon God to have mercy on our nation, and on us if not on our nation.
- Seek God for revival in our land, for only the Gospel, has the answer for our countries needs.
- Share the Gospel. We are the tools that God normally uses to spread the good news.
- Know our salvation is secure in Christ, and that our lives here on earth are at best temporary. Trust in Christ to keep us until he calls us home.
- Forgetting the PC brigade speak the truth about true teachings of Islam, or in not the true, the often perceived as true teachings of Islam. Islam in not really a religion of Peace, but of submission to sharia.
You may also want to think about taking a first-aid course and a course in self-defence. (see British Krav Maga.)
“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: Be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; Yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.” (Isaiah 41:10).